Enhanced Forward Presence
- NATO is enhancing its forward presence in the eastern part of the Alliance, with four multinational battalion-size battlegroups in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, on a rotational basis.
- These battalion-size battlegroups, led by the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany and the United States respectively, will be robust, multinational, combat-ready forces demonstrating the strength of the transatlantic bond, and making clear that an attack on one Ally would be considered an attack on the whole Alliance.
- It is part of the biggest reinforcement of Alliance collective defence in a generation.
- NATO is also developing a tailored forward presence in the southeast of Alliance territory with a land element built around a multinational framework brigade, under Multinational Division Southeast in Romania and coordinated multinational training through the Combined Joint Enhanced Training Initiative.
- NATO is also increasing its presence in the Black Sea region on land, at sea and in the air with several Allies ready to contribute with forces and capabilities.